I had a hard time with this assignment. I found so many that I liked. I even thought of including Weston's pepper no 30 because the quality of light makes is so strong. Instead, I chose a photo that I love, but is not the style I would try to copy. This photo is by Michael Ezra and I found it on Photosig. You may then ask, "Why did you chose it, Karl?" I love the art of it, but I really appreciate the quality of light. It is so masterfully done for my taste.
Other reasons I like it:
- The composition is so elegantly simple. The model, her form, her countour and shape, and the rich shadows are the photo.
- I love photos with a deep black background, but this one works for me because of the brighter tones that the grey background brings out.
- The pose illustrates the beauty of feminity, flexibility, and shape.
- Some argue that the model's face is covered, but that adds to the simplicity of the message of the human form.
- Finally, I love the empty space between her arched body and the fantastic shadow on the floor.